Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Constent Balance


Life is complicated.

I want to see my family. I have to work. I need to do both. I have done it all, worked the menial minum wage job as a teenager, worked for a large corporation, worked for an independent person and alas the Self Employed realm I currently enjoy. I have to say working for myself is great. My only problem is my boss is a slave driver. I have been told lately that I need to delegate. I'm trying, I'm realizing that I have to do this or I will drive my family crazy. My problem is that I am a workaholic, this is not an excuse unfortunatly this is a sad fact. My problem is not that I never leave the office, its that the office never leaves me. That was one benefit of working for another company. Usually the work turns off when you get home. I even had employers who had no way of reaching me after I got home. Now, my boss knows where I live and he won't stop calling! I believe I am slowly coming around. It has been a long journey and I still have a long way to go however I am starting to learn that I can return the email in the morning and that call can go to voicemail. Believe it or not, the world will not come to an end if I don't answer the phone right away. It's a strange concept I know, but it's true. I have learned to prioritize of late. Believe it or not, one of the most relaxing experiences I've had is being on a plane. I have no option but to turn off the phone, I have to read or think or pray (that last practice is always recommended on a plane). I've learned that the phone can go off and I can't be reached. It's an amazing concept. I only hope I've come to this realization early enough and it's not too late.

2 comments:

Farrah said...

You do know you haven't actually done any of those things, right?

Lizzie M. said...

Oh the joys of working for one's self!